Monday, March 7, 2011

Foundations & Funders

So the article about Obama reducing the tax exemptions for the wealthy was really hard for me to understand. Unfortunately, my brain does not work well with most numbers and I certainly cannot figure out what "return to 2009 levels, when the first $3.5-million was exempt from tax, and the tax rate was set at 45 percent" means. 


I liked the article by Sean Stockton Donors and Nonprofits Face a Defining Moment in Responding to Crisis. I thought it was well written and easily understandable. I felt that the article was all about our generation, how are we going to supplement our economy with less federal aid? "The new normal presents philanthropy a chance to demonstrate that it can strengthen the connection between economic growth and broad-based increases in standards of living." It's interesting that Stockton talks about the standards of living; I feel that it is important to be realistic and teach young people that they do not need to live extravagantly but that it is okay to live humbly. Why, well because there are millions of people living in conditions that a majority of Americans would pick death over. Anyways, I think Stockton's point that nonprofits play an important role in preventing problems, is a big deal and really accurate. "Perhaps just as important, however, are philanthropic efforts that prevent the problems that end up costing society the most to deal with—problems like drug addiction, illiteracy, and criminal behavior." I think he's right when he says that nonprofits must not become victims, but they must offer solutions to federal funding cuts. 


Christine Vincent's article A Newly Powerful Grant-Making Force: Artist Endowed Foundations was really interesting. It is a powerful moment I'm sure for those foundations to have pull over what the Smithsonian does. It makes sense thought to me that as these foundations increase, there is a greater sense that they are a community and they have voices that needs to be heard; therefore, they are voicing their opinions more and more. And I watched a clip from the video.....it was interesting to say the least. 


Alex Goldmark's article How to Do GOOD and Prove it was really innovative. I also read Kevin Starr's PopTech Talk and found him very interesting to watch and listen to. The idea of limiting an organization's mission statement, is like limiting a perspective student's admission essay, brilliant! If you cannot limit your description, than how the hell do you know what you are trying to do? I do not necessarily agree that if an organization's reach is limited, than they are not worth investing in, because I feel like local outreach is just as important, and is often a motivating factor for others to reach out internationally. The idea that Starr has about proving your success is vital I feel like in our world today. So many organizations say they do a,b and c but really, they focus on a and b while c gets put off for another year. This tactic could really help broad nonprofits narrow down their audience and the services they provide. 


Chapter ten about Funders was okay. I like that O'Neill labels funders as "the brokers of effective philanthropy." This is such an interesting concept because I've never really heard it discussed before taking this class. These agencies really do over the control and power to shape government policies, support groundbreaking research, and essentially create a new social trend. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is a prime example; the foundation challenged other private foundations and billionaires to donate a large percentage of their money to worthy causes instead of buy properties or give it all to their children, etc. It's a really cool idea in my opinion and I think, as we have read and discussed, foundations are really making an impact on society and have created an industry of its own. 


Chapter eleven on Mutual Benefit was interesting but like most of the other data, outdated. Though society recognizes the contributions that these organizations make, some of these organizations have seen a decline in membership which is interesting. I wonder if their membership as increased in wake of the financial trouble middle low-income and middle-income families are seeing or not. The fact that self-help groups have grown rapidly is somewhat humorous to me but the important thing as O'Neill points out, is that nonprofits continue to play a major role in American society. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of living humbly. I feel like our generation is so into the newest and best and fastest technology that we forget these things aren't really necessary. I found myself coveting the new mac book pro the other day when there is absolutely nothing wrong with my current computer and I'm not sure why I thought I needed it in the first place. There is always something better out there and we need to learn to be satisfied with what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree that artist foundations are in a powerful moment in their history right now. I mentioned this on another blog, but they're support for the arts will be critical in the coming years (as it is now), and that comes with a lot of responsibility. I'm not sure that I love the idea of any one entity having too much presence in funding any one subject, but I am pretty content with the idea of artist foundations starting to exert more influence on art in our society as I think it is suffering from a lack of support from many other sectors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also liked the idea of limiting an organizations mission statement. It can be quite a struggle if you are spread too thin, to actually do good, meaningful work. I think that people and organizations want to have so many things in their portfolio that they end up diluting it and doing an ok job on many things instead of a great job on a few things. That made me think back to the old days when there were like 5 trades people in a town. A woodworker, metalsmith, butcher, etc. Now there are 5 shops that do everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your idea that Foundations are a community in themselves. Really that is all a foundation is, a pool of resources donated to a common cause. It's almost like a refined interest group. As these foundations become ever larger they will begin to have more and more pull in the community. Think of the U of O foundation. When the new arena was being built, a large portion of the funding was coming from the foundation. If they had not liked the design, their threat of pulling funds probably could have gotten it changed to their liking.

    ReplyDelete