Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 6

The chapter on Education and Research was very interesting to me. I wasn't surprised that most private schools are affiliated with some religious organization. It makes sense to me that parents or guardians who's  religion is a major priority in life would like to press upon their children the same importance. Also, people might feel more comfortable having their children educated in a more intimate environment where there are fewer students competing for the teacher's attention and more time to focus on their child's individual needs. That being said, I know many people who feel that public schools are just as effective in educating their children as private schools would be. Although public schools are typically larger in population than private schools are, they provide a type of education that private schools are sometimes unable to extend to their students. For instance, many programs are only available through the public school system, for example FFA is a program only available at public schools and therefore if private school students wish to participate, they must gain approval by the school district. This is an interesting article that outlines many differences between private and public education and what to expect for your child in the long run, www.greatschools.org. I was disappointed to find that non traditional post secondary educational schools had to little space in this chapter, when, in my world at least, it's more realistic for someone to attend a technical training school than it is a four year university or college.

The article/speech by Paul Hawken was really interesting to me. I really enjoyed his perspective on the current Environmental Movement. When he described the movement as "the largest movement the world has ever seen," it was really empowering. "Rather than control, it seeks connection. Rather than dominance, it strives to disperse concentrations of power."This quote from Hawken's speech was really moving to me, this is really what our lives are going to be like after we are done with our educations and for some of us, this is what life is already like. 


I'll be honest, the McKenzie Watershed Council Annual Report was a little over my head, but it was interesting to learn about the different restoration projects going on throughout the area. The article about environmental work being for profit, was interesting but very complex. I wasn't aware the corporations were allowed to swap pollutants in order to not exceed limitations set by the government; this seems unlawful. I don't know maybe it's me but if you're polluting a certain amount, that amount shouldn't decrease if you move those pollutants to another corporations site right? Or am I reading this article wrong? Any suggestions?? 

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your feelings about trade and technical schools. A four year university is becoming more and more out of reach for so many people. I find it incredibly frustrating that our country demands a college degree and now even a masters, yet it is so expensive. People are graduating with more debt every year. My mom is still paying off loans from when she went back to school to get her masters in education. Trade school is not only some times a better option for people, but increasingly becoming the only option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Hawken's speech was interesting and inspirational. I've had a few more years of being able to watch the Environmental movement unfold than most of the class. It's amazing that little steps taken decades ago are finally starting to take hold. When the recycling program in Eugene started, we had to separate everything and pay extra for the service, not many people bothered. Then as we figured out a way to deal with commingled recycling and gave people a discount on their bill, everyone got on board. It's just normal to us now. I think as the environmental movement becomes more mainstream, being sustainable and thinking of the planet, as well as ourselves, will become the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that, although post secondary school is hard to reach for many, it is becoming more and more necessary to our job market and our quality of life. I know plenty of people who have received a certification or license from a technical school or an associate's degree who struggle with their qualification or end up going back to school for a higher paying degree. That's not to say that there aren't people who it works out great for. I just think that with our retirement age increasing (as well as our life expectancy) young people are going to need to remain in school longer, before they can enter the workforce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved Hawken's speech too - very empowering and inspiring, and appreciated the "employer" metaphors he used to lighten up such a serious topic. The cap and trades systems for pollutions are actually pretty innovative in my opinion. It incentives firms to pollute less because it costs less and they can sell their unused permits to other companies who need them for whatever reason. It's an interesting usage of market economics in the field of the environmental regulation. You'll learn plenty about it in PPPM 415 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The McKenzie Watershed article was a bit over my head as well. I first had no idea what a watershed was and it took me doing a lot of research to understand and I'd still say I understand it about 60%. I decided to focus on other water issues around the state which I hope will bring more information to the group. It is interesting to me that people can get paid for keeping their land in a natural state. It just sounds so greedy to me. I have mixed feelings about people not just doing what is right but having to get paid to do it. I would feel like I was bribing the earth if I took money for not cutting down my trees.

    ReplyDelete